On Sunday, November 18, 2001, at 03:02  PM, Reuben Thomas wrote:
And make the dirlib a seperately compilable library from lua_dirlib.

That sounds like a good idea too, except that of course you could
argue that POSIX does exactly that. Or maybe it's not quite what you
want, so you could build a thin layer on top of POSIX (which would
become rather thicker when reimplemented on non-POSIX systems), and
then bind that to Lua.

Will the same POSIX code actually compile and work without modification on MSWindows, MacOS, OSX/all other unixes?

(I know NeXTstep's implementation of POSIX wasn't compatible with other(which implies OSXes might not be). And I know winsock and the socket interfaces to almost every unix have incompatibilites.)

Steve