I thought there was a lua binding for SDL somewhere? cannot remember
where now..

Anyway, just to share some experiences with SDL and Lua. The two are
actually a good match, and our own title, which was already launched,
had both them. There isn't any great performance penalty either.

The only pain we had is, SDL does not support line input (not
just keystrokes, but line input with platform native IME).
But it is probably not supported anywhere in any game SDK, so we
ended up using a not-so-nice hack to hide Windows/X11 IME behind
the scene.

We pretty much had every bit of the core (db access, GUI, scene &
sprites, events, network, etc) accessible through Lua, and the entire
game was about 20,000+ lines of lua codes, including resource
settings. It was great.

Regards,
.paul.