Roberto,

Roberto Ierusalimschy <rieru@delirius.cs.uiuc.edu> writes:

> The problem is how to implement it in Lua, without compromising Lua speed
> and size. We are working on a solution that seems promissing; there is a
> good chance that Lua 4.1 will meet the above "ideal".

Thank you for your efforts and giving us this heads up.  I have great
confidence your team will succeed.  I would like to point out that
with the proposed change, variables defined within a function will no
longer be local, therefore, the keyword local will cause confusion.  I
suggest using the keyword let for the introduction of lexically scoped
variables, but keeping the keyword local as a synonym for backwards
compatibility.  You might also want to reserve the keyword letrec for
future support of local mutual recursion.

John