Edgar,

I sent a note this morning continuing the discussion on lexical
scoping before I read your note suggesting we take this discussion off
line.  Let me simply say that all the definitions of lexical scoping
either explicitly say, or by example show, that nested functions in a
lexically scoped language can use the value of variables defined in
their enclosing functions.  This is a fact.

John