>After looking at the 4.1 alpha manual and then viewing the source
>code, I realized that the section giving the complete syntax of Lua is
>no longer valid.

I'm sorry about this. The syntax in the body of the manual should be correct.
The summary at the end might not be consistent with the main body.

I'm planning to release an updated manual in two weeks or so. This new version
will include fixes suggested here and also a reorganization of some sections.

>If anyone knows how to recognize the table constructor
>syntax in YACC, please let me know.

You might want to look at Lua 3.0 and previous versions of Lua. They included
lua.stx, a yacc file for the parser. Of course, the language has changed since
then, but perhaps the table constructor code is still valid.
--lhf