I'd like to propose the creation of lua-users.org.  After some discussion
with the Lua authors (mainly lhf) I've written the following "mini charter"
which lhf has seen and given an ok.

LUA-USERS.ORG MINI CHARTER

"lua-users.org" is an internet site for and by users of the
programming language Lua.

lua-users.org is not lua.org

    The lua-users.org site will not be managed or hosted by the Lua
    authors or Tecgraf.  However it can be considered a "blessed"
    community site for two reasons:  1) the Lua authors hold the
    registration of the lua-users.org domain and so ultimately decide
    where the domain points to, and 2) there is a link from the
    lua.org home page to lua-users.org.  The lua-users.org home page
    will clearly state that it is not affiliated with Tecgraf.

lua-users.org main site

    The main lua-users.org site will be funded by donations from the
    Lua community.  Each month a volunteer will be sought to pay the
    charges associated with the site (approximately US $30 in the case
    of a shared web hosting account).  The account funded by the
    donations will only be used for content related to lua-users.org.

    Members of the community proposing a plan for a particular content
    or service and also willing to volunteer the time for related
    setup and maintenance will be given access to the site account.
    (Access is via ssh using a public/private keypair.)

lua-users.org subdomains

    It is possible to create subdomains of lua-users.org (for example,
    "xyz.lua-users.org").  This can be used by members wanting to set
    up content outside of the lua-users.org main site.  (There may be
    a small charge such as $1/month.)  However use of the main site is
    recommended if at all possible, since it motivates and makes the
    most efficient use of volunteer contributions.

content guidelines

    Any software running on the site such as CGI scripts should be
    under BSD or GPL or similar free license.  Any data related to the
    site content (for example, wiki database) should be backed up and
    made publicly available at regular intervals.  One reason for this
    is if the individuals controlling the lua-users.org site should go
    astray (from the community's point of view), it will be possible
    to install the content at another location and the Lua authors can
    redirect the domain appropriately.

-- END OF MINI CHARTER --

I've already registered lua-users.org for one year and will transfer it to
the Lua authors at their request.

As for the site hosting, there will probably be many opinions about
location, private vs commercial, etc.  However unless there is overwhelming
dissent, I'm planning to pay setup and the first two month's fee for shared
web hosting at Pair Networks (account details at
http://www.pair.com/pair/shared/webmaster.html), located in Pennsylvania,
USA.  I have experience using the company's products and know the policies
and features of their service.  In any case it's always possible to move the
site in the future.

At the Pair site I intend to start a new wiki, and to start up a mailing
list for discussing site administration.  The current Lua Wiki will be taken
down / transferred.  Any other site components such the web pages, code
repository, cvs, other mailing lists, etc. are open to those interested.

Regards,
-John