>Otherwise, I'd recommend writing some bindings for BerkelyDB.

I've taken an old binding for gdbm and converted it to Lua 4.0. It includes
a Lua module that provides an OO interface to this binding.
The code is available temporarily at
	ftp://ftp.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/pub/lhf/gdbm.tar.gz
It still uses 1 static variable; this has to be fixed for multiple threads.
If there is interest, I can clean it up and make it available officially.
Please let me know.

I also have an old binding for ndbm, which I haven't converted.
--lhf