Andrew Wheeler wrote:

> 1. C/C++ .app's that utilize lua must call CloseSTDLIB() before
> application-exit.  C/C++ .exe's need not call CloseSTDLIB().  (See "Porting"
> page in EPOC's C/C++ SDK online-help for more information).
>
> 2. OPL programmers must call LuaClose:().
>
> That way you're not making any assumptions outside the scope of the EPOC
> documentation: you're just regurgitating what EPOC is telling you to do.
> (Oh, we're making one assumption: OPL sits on top of EIKON).

Sounds right.  And if anyone is going to use Lua with Eikon and the
Crystal Nokia 9210 SDK, they should be aware of this snag:

  void CExampleAppUi::ConstructL()
  {
     // Disable control environment's automatic resource checking
     // If we don't do this when using stdlib, we get a CONE 36 panic

     iCoeEnv->DisableExitChecks(ETrue);
  }

Maybe this will be corrected, but the way things are now there will be a
crash on exit unless it is taken into account.

                                 *

For the rest, are you people using Lua with Eikon?  And if so, are you
using toLua or how do you do it?

I am greatly tempted to use Lua since it runs on both SIBO and EPOC and
since my C program needs a rewrite anyway.  But when I get into the
actual programming I begin to wonder if Lua actually makes a difference,
and especially so if you already have a working C program.  The brief
examples on the toLua page also make me wonder if the gain is great
enough to warrant the introduction of Lua.

So, given that most of you seem to be convinced that Lua can boost
productivity, maybe someone is willing to share some examples where this
is evident?  I am sure there are clever uses of tables and closures that
I just don't see yet.  Maybe one could compile a page of "33 situations
where Lua can beat C with one hand tied behind its back"? :-)
--
    Tore