>What about resurrecting the yacc-based parser, adapting it to the new
>syntax, and including it in Lua-4.1, even if the default would be to
>not even compile it? Then it would be easier for users to experiment
>with changes on the syntax...

I thought about this. It would be convenient for people wishing to extend
Lua's syntax to make sure they would not be breaking anything. but we
most certainly do not want to encourage people to create Lua derivatives,
and still want to call it Lua. So, the yacc file is not going to happen
(plus it'd be a lot of work.)
--lhf