> source to a structured file of some sort (XML, ini-style, whatever).

Unless you've got a very good reason against (e.g. a pre-defined format to
support, other tools that must manipulate it) use Lua source as your
structured file format. Lua was designed for this, after all.

> I'd be willing to help work on a library to support this. Sort of on the
> topic, had anyone been crazy enough to make an XML parser for lua?

There's little need, for the reason given above.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | wit, n.  educated insolence (Aristotle)