I've been playing with that idea for a while now. I'm working on a game that has an in-game editor, and was looking for a way to allow the level designers easy access to the lua code of the scripting engine. I was thinking something along the lines of good old-fashioned muds: a database of objects which users can create, destroy, and edit on the fly, and have the engine be able to save and load the entire database as source code.
This could get really messy quickly, so I was thinking of keeping it simple. The concept would be a thin layer of wrapper functions that takes a table name, index, and string of source to assign to that table and index. The layer would do the actual assignment, as well as dump the source to a structured file of some sort (XML, ini-style, whatever). There would also have to be calls to handle the addition and removal of tables from the database, which would make the relevant changes to the source file.
I thought about wrapping dofile, but that would involve manually parsing out the code, which I'd rather leave to lua itself.
I'd be willing to help work on a library to support this. Sort of on the topic, had anyone been crazy enough to make an XML parser for lua?

Scott Rutledge