> My question to the Lua designers is would you consider this change.  If the
> value is not easily apparent or the backward compatibility suspect, I can
> address those issues more.

To say that the backward compatibility is "suspect" is a bit strong, but
I have some questions about it (questions, not suspicions ;-) Could you
explain how would you achieve this compatibility? (Remember that, although
the global events are a subset of the table events, they are not selected
in the same way. You have only one pair of settable/gettable handlers for
a given global table, but you may have different setglobal/getglobal
handlers for different global values.)

-- Roberto