Coroutines is in our wish-list for Lua 4.1. Because there is no ANSI way to
implement them, we will not put them inside Lua, but we want to make very
easy to implement them outside Lua. We are planning to add built-in support
for multiple Lua stacks, so you will not have to worry about the GC
collecting things from suspended threads.

Your approach ("I did not have to change anything at all in the Lua source
code. I have simply registered three functions [...]") is what we have in
mind. But there is still a long way to define the best API to support
different implementations and coroutine "styles" (and, of course, to easy
the task of those implementing real multi-thread in the language).

-- Roberto