Roberto wrote:

> I am not saying that we will not change Lua (we do it all the time), just
> that there are other "conservative" forces that must be weighted against
> each change.
>
> -- Roberto
>
> PS: of course, we are not "in the mood" for changes right now, as we are
> near the final release of Lua 4.0, and we want to keep our promisse: "we
> intend it [the beta version] to be as final as possible."

I certainly respect keeping the final release close to beta, that is
necessary.

However take for example the proposal I made in April (email "global
environment special case").  Although a few of the suggestions were
incorporated into 4.0b, the most significant part was not.  (It was removing
the get/setglobal and just using the more general table tag system for
globals.  This would have removed functions from the API and standard
library, simplified tag method use, and made the extension system more
powerful.  On top of that backwards compatibility was possible.)  If I had
known before the beta release that this part would be omitted (or possibly
just overlooked), I would have tried my best to argue for it.

The email you sent recently "about the final version" is helpful in this
respect so I hope the Lua team will continue in this way to give users a
chance to review additions before each release.

Regards,
-John