> If a change can at the same time simplify the API or standard function set,
> make programs more terse or easier to maintain, and run at the same speed
> then all that's left is the compatibility argument.
> [...]
> Any other opinions on this?

There is also another aspect about compatibility: learning Lua. For
instance, I am halfway in writing a book about Lua programming, and every
change in the language makes my book obsolete! Also, now it is not uncommon
to see job offers asking for Lua programmers; if the language changes too
much, they will have to add a qualifier to those adds ("Lua 3.2
programmer", for instance ;-)

I am not saying that we will not change Lua (we do it all the time), just
that there are other "conservative" forces that must be weighted against
each change.

-- Roberto

PS: of course, we are not "in the mood" for changes right now, as we are
near the final release of Lua 4.0, and we want to keep our promisse: "we
intend it [the beta version] to be as final as possible."