> > I'm a software engineer for a video game company. We currently
need a
> > scripting language to control various parts of our next
generation of
> > games (AI, SFX, animation, GUI, ...). Oour original plan was to
write
> > our own compiler + VM (i have written some in the past so it's
not an
> > unfamiliar territory for me).
>
> I have exactly the same problem. Why reinvent the wheel? Spend all
that
> extra time on gameplay and improving other code. As you must know
the
> overhead of designing and coding a language is fairly large. Yadda,
yadda,
> yadda it's all be said before on here. :-)

I agree. Especialy with my current time constraints, what ever time i
cna save with the implementation of a scripting engine can be usefull
to me in implementing other features. So far, besides a few issues
that may araise (especialy with PS2 compatibility). I'm seriously
considering Lua

> Benchmarks for Lua and a few other languages:
> http://www.chat.net/~jeske/Projects/ScriptPerf/

Tnx.

> > * Lua being dynamicly typed, i can see the advantages especialy
> > considering some of the code might be written by non programmers.
> > However, since type determination is moved from the compiler to
the
> > VM, what is the actual runtime cost of dynamic types?
>
> I'm not sure that its a problem at all. You should worry more about
garbage
> collection.

True, i didn't think about GC. I guess i'll have to take control of
the GC to some extent to avoid the collection to occur at bad times
in the game :)

> > Sebastien St-Laurent
> > Z-Axis ltd.
> > www.z-axis.com
>
> I like the web site. Space Inavders looks great. Are you still in
San
> Mateo???

Tnx. I did some work on Space Invaders myself last summer. Right now
i'm working on a Dreamcast port of Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX. And no,
the company moved across the bay a few months ago, it's now located
in Hayward.

Sebby