>From: "Paul Moore" <gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk>
>
>Run-time flexibility is one thing, but compile-time flexibility is more
>dangerous...

Good point. We don't want to run any Lua code during the lexical analysis.
So, even if we were to add an "tonumber" tag method or a _TONUMBER function,
this could not possibly affect the lexer without getting into too many
complications. So, I don't think hex numbers and such will ever happen
in the lexer. We want to keep things as simple as possible (see the recent
posting by Roberto on the C API, and the decision to scrap the preprocessor).
--lhf