>From: "John Passaniti" <jmp@pt.com>
>
>Can I take object code from luac running on the
>Sun platform and expect it to work under the PowerPC or other platforms?
>Generalizing, is the object code platform independent?

Yes, it is.
The man page at http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/manual/luac.html says:

 "The binary files created by luac are portable to all architectures."

The man page also says

 "The internal format of the binary files produced by luac may change
 when a new version of Lua is released.  We try to maintain
 compatibility even for binary files, but sometimes it cannot be done.
 So, save the source files of all Lua programs that you precompile."

Please keep this in mind.
In particular, the format for 4.0 *is* different from the one in 3.2.
--lhf