I just spent several hours reviewing the list archive, and I
know this has been asked here in various forms, but I couldn't
find a direct answer, so here goes...

I'm evaluating LUA for use as a script language in an embedded processor
environment.  The unit most remain in operation for very long periods of
time.  We have only 64K of RAM to work with.

We are very concerned about memory fragmentation.

The "standard" way of dealing with this is to use a double pointer or
"handle" method where the underlying operating environment can reshuffle
objects in memory pretty much at will.  An example frequently cited in
the list archive was PalmOS.

What sorts of mechanisms does Lua have to support this?

--Adam