>   * Lua doesn't appear to have any knowledge of Unicode strings, since
>     all strings are manipulated as "char *". Are there plans to make Lua
>     Unicode-aware?

About that point, does anyone know anything about support for Unicode in
Linux? (More specifically, where we could find a complete implementation
of "wchar.h"?)

>  * Is it possible to do binary I/O in Lua? The iolib seems to be
>    text-file specific.

As lhf said, you can use strings for binary I/O. But, in DOS, you still
need to open the file in "binary" mode. Lua 3.2 comes with a new function,
"openfile", where you provide an explicit "mode" string.

-- Roberto