It's all a matter of opinion and personal experience. At my job I write
software that runs on Windows NT, Solaris, AIX, and HP/UX (2 flavors of
each UNIX, no less). I've found that most of my pain comes on the UNIX
end of things, especially when you throw signals, threads, and C++ all
together. Others have had different experiences.

Lua's one of the most portable programming language implementations I've
seen in quite some time. Your milage may vary.

-Adam