There are two changes I'd like to see in Lua, both of which would make
it a little easier to connect C code to Lua.

I try to be careful in my code to use const char * when I know I'm
dealing with immutable strings.  Unfortunately, many Lua functions use
parameter types of char *, even when const char * would be correct, so
I get a slew of warning messages.  It would be nice if the signatures
were updated properly.  I believe that *all* strings are immutable in
Lua, so that all instances of char * could be replaced with const
char*.

The other change I'd like to see is minor: I'd like the C version of
lua_error to have the same signature as printf.  This should
relatively easy to implement in ANSI C using <stdarg.h> and vsprintf.