 > seriously now, my point is that profiling an interpreted language is harder
 > than profiling C.
 > profiling times taken on each line is almost certainly misleading because
 > of overhead. profiling times taken in functions might be ok.

What I'd like to do is simulate gprof, i.e., simply record the call
stack at timer interrupts and sort out the mess later.  What I can't
figure out, however, is an easy way to figure out the proper
interleaving of the Lua and C stacks.  If I take an interrupt, which C
functions should be profiled for themselves, and which should be
charged to the account of lua_stackedfunction(0)?

Norman