As a consequence of some changes to be introduced in 3.1, we had to
change the internal structure of bytecodes and this directly affects
the format of precompiled files, in a way that is incompatible with
binaries generated by Lua 3.0.

How serious is this change for you?
Do you had precompiled files for which you do not have the lua source files?

We never promised that we would not change the format of binary files because
we assume that your programs can always be recompiled.
However, we *might* write a conversion tool if there is a major need for it.

I take this opportunity to conduct a quick survey:

1. Do you use precompiled lua chunks? Why or why not?
2. Do you use precompiled lua chunks *across* platforms?
   (Did you know that precompiled chunks are supposed to be portable?)
3. Do you have precompiled files for which you do *not* have the sources?

Please send your replies directly to me.
Thanks a lot.
--
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo                    email: lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br
TeCGraf-Grupo de Tecnologia em Computacao Grafica, Dep. Informatica, PUC-Rio