A new version of the reference manual is available at the usual places, eg.

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/lua/manual/
http://csg.uwaterloo.ca/~lhf/lua/manual/

I gave up struggling with latex2html and wrote my own sed script for the
conversion. The conversion is better now, plus much much faster :-)

I've also made it a single page (plus an index), so that people can print
it out in one go and also save a local copy for browsing.
I hope that 80k is not to much to download.

If you want to download it, make sure you get the two parts:

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/lua/manual/index.html
http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/lua/manual/manual.html

The old version is still available at

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/lua/manual/2.5