> From:          Waldemar Celes <celes@graphics.cornell.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Persistence
> To:            J.P.Fletcher@aston.ac.uk
> Date:          Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:32:20 -0500 (EST)

Waldemar

I have been working away developing on the basis of your previous suggestions and
have solved a number of problems.  I want to have a persistent database where
the objects can reference each other.  In the example so far there are
two types of object, books and authors, so one book may have several
authors and also an author may write more than one book.  It is easy
enough if there is a limit of one on each type of field, but I
wanted to be more general than that.

I wanted to be able to save and restore the cross references and keep
only one copy of the data in the database.  I have been able to do this up to a
point.  The problem is with the lack of general persistence mechanism
for numeric keys, on which I have posted to the Lua list today.
This means that I can only tolerate numerically indexed tables with
known names.  At the moment all mine are called 'entries' and I can
have a structure as follows, omitting other nonnumeric keys.

FirstObject = {
entries = {}
}
SecondObject = {
entries = {}
}

FirstObject.entries[1] = SecondObject
SecondObject.entries[1] =FirstObject

BaseData {
entries[1] = FirstObject
entries[2] = SecondObject
}

The most vital thing is that an object exists, even as an empty
table, before any reference to it is created, otherwise it is left
out of the database.

I have some example code on this basis which is nearly complete.  I
have not yet tackled deletion from the database.

I will cross post this to the list, although the previous discussion
predates the list.  Somebody else may be interested in this
discussion.

John Fletcher
Dr John P. Fletcher          Tel: (44) 121 359 3611 ext 4625
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry (CEAC),
Aston University,            Fax: (44) 121 359 4094
Aston Triangle,              Email: J.P.Fletcher@ASTON.AC.UK
BIRMINGHAM B4 7ET  U.K.
CEAC Web site http://www.ceac.aston.ac.uk/