On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, this is almost magic! Now if there were an equally powerful library
>> for *NIX systems (with the same low footprint) plus a lightweight
>> abstraction layer, then we could have a nice little cross-platform
>> automation tool (at ~100kB + Lua) :-)
>
> +1 :-)

All the parts are available: Jeff Pohlmeyer's xctrl [1] for bossing
around X Windows and Rob Hoelz's linotify [2] for watching directories
in Linux. (There is also LuaFAM which is more portable).  As for
process management, you would just need luaposix and be prepared to
parse the output of 'ps' (accounting for the System V/BSD divide, of
course).  The equivalent of 'drive information' can be found by
parsing the output of 'mount' and 'df'.

So, with the magic of LuaRocks, one could write a module which would
pull in the necessary implementation libraries and provide a unified
interface, at least for those features which can be reasonably mapped
onto each other.

steve d.