I rebuild Lua 5.3.5 and got the same result on 'make test': make: *** [test] Killed 9.
Also, I got the same message on 64 bit.
I therefore conclude: the issue is that 64bit compiling.

yours sincerely
dr. Hans van der Meer

On 1 Jul 2023, at 15:13, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

The rosetta vehicle in MacOSX made it possible for me to run my previously installed Lua 5.3. I do not want to loose that option by removing its binary and risking I will never get it back working.

Building Lua 5.3 should be no problem. Running a previously installed
Lua might be, if you've copied it from an Intel machine. Better be
safe and rebuild Lua natively.

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/ranlib: archive member: liblua.a(lapi.o) offset in archive not a multiple of 8 (must be since member is an 64-bit object file)

Again, first time I hear about this. But now Google does not help.

could it be that the make script does not generate 64bit binaries?

The Makefile builds Lua for the current architecture. So, no problem there.