FYI - The Unicode Standard is not controlled by Micorosft:
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/consortium/memblogo.html

On UTF8, I'd say making Lua independent of any encoding standard
is a better approach if possible. Leave it to the user to decide
the standard.  Any place a string comparison is done, pipe that
out to the application hosting Lua so the treatment comes out
right based on the text encoding.

Regards,
Jim