> Initially Unicode was limited to 2^16 positions (65,536), but this was found
> to be inadequate. The first 2^16 characters of Unicode are known as the Basic
> Multilingual Plane (BMP) and is intended be enough to represent all living
> languages, however as other messages have suggested it does not contain
> historical characters. This space is not yet full so there may be further
> characters added in the future.

Here I go nitpicking again, but it also lacks characters used
in names,  contemporary uncommonly used characters, and
variants of the original. I find it amazing that this space it not yet
full, as it should already have been filled with those 80000 characters
I mentioned before alone. I still get the feeling that Microsoft
wants to keep using it's obsolete 16-bit encoding (wich is AFAIK not
UTF-16), and therefore is holding back many characters. Then again,
I might be a raving madman. ^_^

Anyway, as far as lua is concerned, I am convinced that UTF-8 is the way
to go. That way, backwards compatibility and internationalisation
of strings can go hand in hand.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer
bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be