I am working with embedded system, I hope very much that I can
convince Lua to keep the pre-compiled program code in ROM (if the lua
program code is storted in my embedded in pre-compiled "binary" form).
... not yet tested though... . (last time I failed with my Win10 64
bit luac.exe ... I will try Win32 32bit luac.exe version in some days
hopefully, then I hope I can proceed...).

I am lucky enough that I do NOT need graphics in my embedded, so also
no bitmaps, as I do not have the ambition to run any GUI directly from
embedded, for this I would rely on Android&Co via Bluetoooth or other
communications... .

So concerning strings, I would more support the comments of  Roberto... .