Thanks ... and yes, this ( https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/llex.c#L476 ) is exactly what I was looking for.

Now knowing this I ask myself how did it come, that I haven't came up with the idea to look for the pattern `'['` myself wondering how can it be that there is no `[[` pattern in the C-source code ...

The Lua lexer goes byte by byte and is not using regular _expression_ patterns or two or more byte patterns I have falsely somehow assumed that it does because of the answer to the latest question here on the list about long and short comments which mentioned the pattern `[=*[` in the context of detecting long comments ... this somehow resulted in my mind in a wrong assumption leading to the asked question.

Claudio