> I would be hard pressed to get my preferred text editor to include
> those characters into a file, expecially ETX (which is Ctrl-C, which
> a lot, *a lot* of programs, interpret as an interrupt character.

Minor technical point: on almost all systems, it is not "a lot of
programs"; it is one, one extremely central one: the kernel.  Normally,
the kernel turns a typed ^C into a SIGINT to the foreground process
group; the "a lot of programs" never see the ^C, just the SIGINT
(which, unless they have specifically arranged otherwise, kills the
process(es) involved).

Try "stty intr \^B" (that's \, ^, and B; on some systems, there may be
something else that will work, such as control-V control-B); then,
assuming your system interprets things the way I'm used to, ^B will
perform the function ^C previously did in that session.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@rodents-montreal.org