Very interesting!

I duckducked for it (I'm trying to dump google :-) and found the relevant article (luckily not paywalled):

https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3192366.3192369

I didn't know about that. As I said in another post, it's been a very long time since I looked into these problems.

Thanks for the tip!

-- Lorenzo

P.S.: I also found a git repo from the article's author (Ulf Adams):

https://github.com/ulfjack/ryu

On 21/06/2023 00:02, Andrew Gierth wrote:
"Lorenzo" == Lorenzo Donati <lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> writes:

  Lorenzo> and also this SO post:
  Lorenzo> https://stackoverflow.com/a/2174100/2633423

  Lorenzo> which links to the article above and other info.

That's well out of date; the Ryu algorithm, published in about 2018,
beats the pants off every other exact float output algorithm both in
speed and simplicity.

(It's hard to overstate how good it is. It's many times faster than any
previous algorithm, requires no special cases other than zero/inf/NaN,
and doesn't use any float arithmetic at all.)