I'm on Linux Mint 22, building my own readline (version 8.2 from GitHub) since Mint didn't have a pre-compiled package. (For good reason; my readline shared library apparently conflicts with some other version so the window manager crashes. I only compile the .a now.)

Even building with ncurses I still get an error about unresolved symbols:

I'll mail you a transcript reproducing what I did.  If you can spot my mistake, please tell me.

Frank Mitchell