I also did this in the beginning - I created my "own way" how I preferred it.

But I must admit that I later skipped it again completely.

The main disadvantage if you go away too much from the "standard lua
way of programming" (as most impressively just shown in the lua source
code folder / lua lib programming, but also in the PiL book...): you
have problems to switch between two worlds - meanwhile I program Lua C
code as nearest as possible like in the lua-libs themselves usually...
.

Sorry for this - I am frightened - "not so supportive" post.