I am trying to write a pure rust implementation of Lua5.4. I need to know about this order of finalizers thing, so that I can work on my garbage collector design.

for example, in v8, they implement something called lazy incremental sweeping. this allows v8 to run finalizers of dead objects on one page at a time, and there's no relevance of the object's age at all. https://github.com/thlorenz/v8-perf/blob/master/gc.md#lazy-sweeping.