Somehow all my answers to you guys did not get through...

Well, I would like to thank everyone and share what I went with.
After trying multiple solutions I created a mix between the ones from
Paul Ducklin and Sean Conner in that the matching function would create
a new function for every subscription which checks all edge cases.

Profiling this it seems as though this is the most performant solution
because there are not that many subscriptions and our software runs on
pretty constrained hardware (mostly NodeMCU and similar). This is also
why installing additional packages (i.e. LPeg) is not really feasable -
if at all possible - because we could not ask our customers to
crosscompile/flash those chips.

Thank you everybody, it was a nice experience as always.

Cheers,
Tristan