On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 9:44 AM bil til <biltil52@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not use just ONE table for all meta methods

It used to do that, but this was changed:

https://github.com/lua/lua/commit/924bed7297d5ea16a78ec07e7acc64afad951aa8

I believe this was changed as a result of the discussion started by

Yet, I think, this change did not fully address the problem and the
built-in IO library may still be vulnerable. What is even worse, many
other libs out there might suffer from the same problem and the
awareness in the community is probably low, because the issue is not
addressed in the manual, nor in the Programming in Lua books.

Cheers,
V.