Thank you VERY much for this clarification, this I did not know
before... so if using metatable, then really makes sense only for
larger memory blocks in case of restricted memory applications... .

I now changed the philosophy of my metatable/userdata planning for
these IO pins, as I now use one userdata for a complete "group of ins
/ outs" ... this then really makes it much more compact (and it leaves
the option what sorts of ins/outs to "group together in a (table-like)
userdata" to the Lua user programmer...). With this I should now be
perfectly happy as I see it... .