It should be easy-ish to fix lua-rocksdb. I have used LMDB with success in such a context in the past, it has several Lua wrappers including https://github.com/shmul/lightningmdb - it might need a few fixes and work to support Lua 5.4 features as well.

I wouldn't pick the database based on the availability of Lua bindings, in general a low-level Lua binding is rather easy to write.

--
Pierre Chapuis