On 6/10/22 18:51, Milan Nikolic wrote:
> I saw the same thing when I was testing my IUP bindings. It works on the
> latest Fedora but Ubuntu 22.04 looks like your issue.
> I believe that is because the Wayland display server is the default now,
> you can try to start the Xorg server instead, to confirm that is the issue.
>
> I only did a test in VM, so I thought it is maybe because of graphics in
> the virtual machine and Wayland session.
>
> Milan
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 8:33 AM <support@scriptbasic.org> wrote:
>
>> Antonio,
>>
>> I created a Ubuntu 22.04 system and was trying to get my ScriptBasic
>> interface working with the latest IUP release. My example online
>> dictionary using ScriptBasic and IUP now has alignment issues. What
>> changed to cause this?
>> [...]
>>
>> John

G'day John,

----

[This message is being cross-posted to the lua-l list, since it
partially begs for more resources for IM/CD/IUP maintenance;
Antonio Scuri is a very valuable, but very scarce resource, and
more resources are needed.  My apologies if this cross-posting
is improper, and would ask that replies be targeted and focussed
to the proper list or lists, as appropriate.]

----

The last release of IUP was 3.30, on 2020-08-02.  Scratching through
the Subversion releases, this looks to be r5892.

Looking at the SourceForge IUP Code tab, the latest revision of the
trunk is r5942, made on 2022-03-03.

I believe that a majority, but certainly not all, of the 50
changesets made since the 3.30 release are bug fixes.

*** Opinion: IM/CD/IUP releases, especially bugfix ones, are not
             given the priority they deserve.  The last IUP release
             was made after a significant number of new features were
             added to the package.

             I strongly believe that:
                    - IM  3.15, 2020-07-31 =~ r816,  currently r820;
                    - CD  5.14, 2020-07-31 =~ r894,  currently r900; and
                    - IUP 3.30, 2020-08-02 =~ r5892, currently r5942;

             have long-standing bugfixes to the modules, that deserve
             to be wrapped up into a new set of releases.

----

My SourceForge project
[lglicua-alpha6](<https://sourceforge.net/projects/lglicua/files/)

was written explicitly because of my frustration at the
release/repository gap; it uses the repository by default.

Although I've never tested Ubuntu 22.04 before (-alpha6 was released
in 2022/02/xx), I have run up a virtual machine, and can confirm
that lglicua-alpha6 Works Like A Bought One.

----

To address John's initial IUP query directly:

[PREAMBLE:  You might like to do all of the following in a virtual
machine, as a number of items are system-installed, instead of
being project-local.]

    1. I recommend updating your system's packages, if possible:

          - $ sudo apt-get update
          - $ sudo apt-get upgrade

    2. Create some PROJECT directory, and unpack the latest lglicua
       release tarball <https://sourceforge.net/projects/lglicua/files/lglicua-0.1-alpha6.tar.gz/download>
       into that directory.

    3. PROJECT/install$ is for installing Lua, LuaRocks, selected Rocks
       and IM/CD/IUP sources [with FTGL and pdflib7 being
       pseudo-projects split out of the CD project.]:

             PROJECT$ cd install
             PROJECT/install$ ./i         # get a one-page help summary
             PROJECT/install$ ./i lua-install 5.4
             PROJECT/install$ ./i reboot-now

             (After rebooting, which sets up the LuaRocks paths:)

             $ cd PROJECT/install
             $PROJECT/install$ ./i imcdiup-osdepend-install
             $PROJECT/install$ ./i imcdiup-svn-fetch

    4. Build from Subversion sources, into a "../1/" play workspace:

             PROJECT/install$ cd ../build
             PROJECT/build$ ./q           # get a one-page help summary
             PROJECT/build$ ./q nuke,unpack,build,gather fer-real

    5. Trivial (two-line) "hello, world", indented here for clarity:

             PROJECT/build$ cd ../1/play
             PROJECT/1/play$ cat hello-world
                     #!/bin/bash ../support/play-lua-tec
                     iup=require("iuplua"); iup.Message("MyApp", "hello, world")
             PROJECT/1/play$ ./hello-world

    6. Try bringing in your application into the "play" area, and
       see if there are any changes.  Reports on both regressions
       and improvements would be welcomed.

       *** Beware:  The "../1" workspace, including many files, is a
           temporary area only; each time that you find something of
           value, I strongly urge you to copy it to a safe place
           outside of the PROJECT tree.  There is a simple-minded
           command, "./q iup:patch fer-real", which means that you
           could create a patch (svn diff) and optionally apply it
           as during testing; similarly, you could write a simple
           script to populate "../1/play/" with project files, after
           each "./q nuke,unpack,patch,build,gather fer-real".

    7. You can use "PROJECT/build$ ./q svn-update fer-real" to track
       changes to any of the IM/CD/IUP repsitories.

----

Sorry for the long message; I hope that this is useful.

cheers,

sur-behoffski (Brenton Hoff)
programmer, Grouse Software