> So we can't write "natural" code that works for both Lua numbers and
numerical objects.

As the author of lua-bint (Arbitrary precision integer arithmetic library in pure Lua), I also wish there was some solution for this problem in a future Lua release, because this is the only corner case where I can't mix lua numbers.

This problem has been mentioned before by Nathan Page and he has also come with a smaller patch for Lua 5.4 in http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2022-01/msg00140.html .

---
Eduardo Bart