We are using Lua in our new product, MPA1000, which is a System on a Module (SoM) used in OEM products that deliver ultra-low latency video and audio over IP networks.

Lua allows us to grant our OEM clients efficient, simple and complete access to the functionality of our SoM. It is easier to use for an OEM engineer than lower level systems, and it is much easier for us to support.

Lua is used to script the business logic of their device that embeds the MPA1000. Lua may be used for everything that the device supports — to work with video sources and sinks, handle HDMI, including the EDID logic, to handle industry protocols such as IPMX to video, to talk to connected I2C devices and to external services over the network, to extend the device’s web UI with custom functionality, and so on.

In addition, we provide a state-of-the-art human-friendly Lua REPL interface accessible via UART and ssh, which allows an OEM engineer to explore the full SoM functionality, play and rapidly prototype elements of the same business logic during development.

There is a machine-friendly serial port interface available as well, to support the case when the MPA1000 has to be driven by the pre-existing OEM hardware. It uses Lua as a command language.

Hat tip to Alexander Gladysh and his Lua wizards at LogicEditor who are helping us to make this possible!

https://macnicatech.com/mpa-1000/