When I compile Lua 5.4.4 on Debian 11 or Ubuntu 20.04, it gives a compilation warning in the "ar" step:

   ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U')

This was previously reported to this list by Egor Skriptunoff here [1], for Lua 5.4.0. The cause of the problem is the "ar rcu" in the Makefile. It is only in the final Lua release. In the git repository[2], it uses "ar rc" and doesn't have this warning.

I believe it should be safe to use "ar rc" instead. Hopefully the Unix wizards on this list can clarify this... My understanding is that the "u" flag is only supposed to help reduce the compilation time a little bit when re-compiling the project. However, it comes at the cost of embedding timestamps into the library file, which makes the resulting build non-deterministic. For this reason, Debian started ignoring this option and complains when it is used.

[2] https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/8426d9b4d4df1da3c5b2d759e509ae1c50a86667/makefile#L76

-- Hugo