G'day,

[This message is being cross-posted to both lua-l@lists.lua.org,
 and to iup-users@lists.sourceforge.net...  If replying, please
try to trim down the recipients, if appropriate.  The added
support of Lua 5.4.4 is of interest to the lua-l people, and the
expanded Distribution list (MX-21ahs and Rocky-8.5) can be of
interest to the iup-l folks).

I'm pleased to announce the next alpha release of "lglicua", hosted
at SourceForge:

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/lglicua/

    - l        : Lua;
    -  gl      : GNU/Linux;
    -    icu   : IM/CD/IUP:  PUC-Rio Tecgraf scientific/technical toolkit;
    -       a  : Assistant.

The installer has many changes; in particular, it has shifted from
depending on Distribution packages, to always compiling Lua from
sources by default.  The result is that all current Lua 5.x releases
(5.1 onwards) are supported:

    - Lua 5.1.5;
    - Lua 5.2.4;
    - Lua 5.3.6; and
    - Lua 5.4.4 (released 26 Jan 2022).

Other versions, such as LuaJIT, Lua 4.x, and Lua 5.0 have not been
tried, and are unlikely to work, because whitelisting is used at
various points.

The GNU/Linux platforms are dominated by the Ubuntu (Debian?) and
Red Hat platforms.  At present, I've only dealt with (and therefore
support) the 64-bit (amd64) architecture.  Some end-of-life versions
have been removed; the list that I'm currently testing against is:

    - GNU/Linux Mint: 18.3, 19.3, 20.2;
    - GNU/Linux Mint 20.3 (released 7 January 2022);
    - Ubuntu 18.04.3, 20.04.3;
    - Ubuntu 21.10 (includes gcc 11.2);
    - CentOS-7;
    - Rocky GNU/Linux 8.5; and
    - MX21ahs GNU/Linux.

MX (Ubuntu-based) is listed as the most popular GNU/Linux Distribution
on DistroWatch.com.  Rocky Linux (CentOS-8/Red Hat) is one of a number
of projects coming out of the EOL for CentOS-8; it may be of interest
to supercomputer users.  (I looked at CentOS-8-Stream a couple of
months ago, but could not get it working.)

Share and Enjoy -- and all feedback is welcome.  It's been exactly
six months since the previous release.  (Hint:  Don't have issues
such as PolKit play havoc with your build/test farm while trying to
develop installer code!)

sur-behoffski (Brenton Hoff)
programmer, Grouse Software