> What changed in Lua 5.4 in this regard?

Sorry, bad phrasing on my part - I meant to say that I tried solutions
in various versions and couldn't find a performant solution in any
versions up to and including 5.4.

> Also, is setting a read-only proxy for __ENV and other tables not performant?

In my use case it was somewhere between 2x and 10x slower, though it's
certainly dependent on the code you're trying to run. This proposed
solution has been within noise on x64 machines I've tried it on.