Hi Jonathan,
thank you again, very helpful... .

Concerning the last point: I would define my strbuf's like this (my
naming convention for them now would be SB... and into _G I will put
them as _sb_SB..., this name transfer is then handled automatically by
_G __newindex / __index, which now will fire always, as SB... never
will exist in _G (only in form of _sb_SB...)):
SBtmp= stringbuf.new( 100)

The dangerous thing now would be, if the user by some accident would program:
SBtmp= 'hallo'

Then I do not want the standard Lua thing to happen (that by strbuf
SBtmp switches somehow to a string...), but instead I want to copy the
string 'hallo' into my strbuf SBtmp.

With this __newindex thing of the _G table I control this nicely, and
anyway all my strbufs should be globals, this makes most sense... .

So I want also to avoid, that some user by some accident writes:
local SBtmp= stringbuf.new(100)

... as soon as the user then would program then any strbuf operation
(leading to my strbuf __newindex / __index / __concat...), then an
error will fire, as any such function will check whether _sb_SB... is
available in the _G table... . So it will recognize nicely any "local
misusing", and also if some user by some accident tries to create some
other name (e. g. sbtmp or tmp or something else...).

I am really very happy now I think, thank you... .