function(b) a=a+1 return a+b end — <?(b) a=a+1 -> a+b ?>

Looking at this I'm wondering if you understood the idea behind syntactic sugars.

You just turned a simple statement into a clutter of special characters that is both harder to read and type imho.
If you don't want to type Lua keywords so desperately, why not use auto-completion?

Sebastian