G'day,

Thanks to all for the responses.  I'll let the existing topic
lie, except to note one item in standards that I missed...

In addition to undefined behaviours, many Standards have
"Implementation Defined" behaviours, where (e.g. C) the language
does not try to shield the users from lower-level differences.

A simple case of this is ASCII versus EBCDIC, and the resulting
difference in e.g. regex range specifications ("[A-Z]" versus
"[[:upper:]]" in Grep; equivalently, "[A-Z]" versus "%u" in Lua).

'nuff said.

s-b etc